- What is your role?
Mark and Noir at home in Sommers Bay
I am the Regional Manager South for Sustainable Timber Tasmania (STT).
- What roles have you held previously?
I have spent many years in operational management roles across several industries, including a stint managing the fuel operation on Christmas Island.
- How long have you been involved in the industry?
I have been in different areas of the industry including Oakdale Timber and Carter Holt Hervey in Pine Panel Production.
- What do you enjoy most about your role?
No brainer here—the people I work with in STT. I have never worked with a more dedicated workforce so passionate about their industry, an absolute joy each day. We also have great stewardship from our General Management Team who are responsible for a complex organisation and they do it while remaining extremely approachable to all.
- What are you most passionate about in the industry?
Safety, Safety Safety! Growing our young cadets into future foresters, and developing great mentorship programs for our teams.
- What do you think industry does well?
It goes without saying, the passion displayed by all parties involved in managing the most important natural resource we have in Tasmania — Timber.
- What do you think are the greatest industry challenges in Tasmania, and how could they be addressed?
I don’t believe we tell our story very well to the general population, especially our younger generations about just how much extraordinary work goes into managing our forests. The misinformation from some quarters is frustrating for all; we need to improve on how we get our story out there.
- On the weekend we’d find you…
When it is warm (yes, I am a sook) on a kayak with my 85kg ‘Newfy’ (Newfoundland) Noir and an esky of beer with my beautiful wife beside us on her paddle board.
- What is your favourite Tassie spot to visit?
Again, a no brainer! Where I live of course – Sommers Bay (please don’t ask where Alf is!!!!!)
- Something you’d be surprised to know about me is…
Despite my ample size, I have completed 11 Ironman Triathlons.