McKay Timber was established in 1947 and celebrated 70 years of trading in 2017.
McKay Timber is a true independent timber company that is 100% Tasmanian, family owned and operated with sites in Glenorchy, Prospect and Brighton and employs over 100 Tasmanian families.
The company started out as a Timber Merchant on Marys Hope road Berriedale and moved to the current site in Wrights Avenue in 1950. From there Timber Merchant became a sawmiller and the company was once of the founding companies of TPFH (Tasmanian Pulp and Forest Holdings) more commonly known as the Triabunna woodchip mill.
McKay Timber moved into engineered timber products in the 1986 when we opened our truss plant at Glenorchy. Engineered timber products have become a main part of the business and with the installation of a finger jointing machine and a laminating press now the company is producing McKay Lam, finger jointed and edge laminated timber products as well as McKay Floor, engineered Tas oak flooring.
Our aim is to use 100% of our recourse in solid, engineered, Glue laminated timber and using Bio energy to value add to our biproduct.