“The purpose of the TFFPN is to represent the shared views, aspirations and expectations of all those people who have a stake in the future of a sustainable Tasmanian forests, fine timber and wood fibre industry.”
The Primary Purpose of the TFFPN
The TFFPN provides an inclusive, open and transparent platform on industry matters for all those people who either work within or who support a productive, sustainable and profitable forest industry in Tasmania. To achieve this the role the work of the TFFPN includes:
- Being a communication hub – provide information and a united voice on issues, successes, policy, innovations, common areas of concern
- to its members
- the general community
- other industry organisations within the industry and other industries
- to stakeholders
- Provide informed policy advice to government and the industry
- Provide a focal point for Government to communicate high level issues of common concern across the Network
- Foster Research and Development in the industry
- Promote skills development and career paths across the industry
- Provide a linkage point across the industry to coordinate policy, government responses and other matters of common interest
- Community engagement and education, providing information about the issues in the industry and build support for those who work in it
- Promote the Brand
- Build partnerships and align interests
The sustainability and funding of the TFFPN will need to be supported by the industry it serves.
There will be a number of opportunities for companies and individuals to financially support the TFFPN. These may include:
- Sponsorship – Terms of reference will be developed to enable general sponsorship of the Network. Packages may include acknowledgement on the website and newsletter etc.
- Sponsorship of regional events, networking events, and other
- Sponsorship of Forum and Annual Dinner
- Funding from grants and other government and industry sources
The TFFPN is administered and operated by those who rely on the industry for their jobs or who have an intrinsic connection to the industry.
Membership is open to all those across the value chain who care about sustainable forestry, its positive contribution to the natural environment and the economic wellbeing it can generate, especially in rural and regional Tasmania.
The TFFPN does not seek to replace or diminish the role of other organisations which represent the interests of individual industry sectors.
The TFFPN has been registered as a Company Limited by Guarantee (ABN: 32624613163). As a not-for-profit company it is also eligible for registration with ACNC.
The Constitution states the four objectives of the TFFPN are to:
- Increase active community support for the industry (ie social licence)
- Expand the industry’s skill base and development of sustainable career Pathways
- Enhance a rationalised, affordable regulatory system
- Develop a positive investment environment
A Board of Governance has been established and directors elected by the members for a period of up to 3 years.
The current Directors of TFFPN are:
Steve Whiteley (Chair)
Bryan Hayes (Treasurer)
The Board sets the strategic direction for the TFFPN, monitor performance against that direction and ensure it makes a strong contribution to the future of the industry. The Board numbers will be kept to a manageable number, while at the same time ensuring that the Board has the relevant skills to perform its functions.
The Board convenes Reference Groups, from time to time , through an expression of interest to TFFPN members to provide policy advice to government , or any other request or strategic goal the Board has a requirement to meet.
Therese Taylor has been appointed as the Network Convenor.
The strength, power and influence of the TFFPN is:
- the diversity of its membership base across the industry
- the credibility of its industry representation
- the acceptance of its role as the collective voice for all those who rely on the industry for their employment, both direct and indirect
- the influence it can exert in securing a sustainable, profitable future for the industry
- the support offered by industry across the value chain
- the skill development and career opportunities it can help generate